Main / Society

George Mason University responds: coronavirus in Q & A

Alexander Alexeenko - 01.04.20

Mason University monitors the outbreak of coronavirus / COVID-19, following the instructions of the CDC and Virginia Department of Health, and regularly sends updates via email. George Mason University staff answered the most common questions about coronavirus. We suggest that you familiarize yourself with and be more aware of the spread of the coronovirus and how to protect yourself and your loved ones from this disease, be aware about transmission mode and symptoms.


1. During outbreak of coronavirus George Mason University student has visited Level 3 countries, can he return to campus?

No. In accordance with the guidelines of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), anyone returning from a Level 3 country such as China, Iran, Italy, South Korea, Europe, and the United Kingdom must be isolated on their own outside their campus residence.

If a resident student cannot return to his permanent residence and must return to his place of residence in campus, he must send an email to Housing and Residence Life or call to share this information. For more information, call 703-993-2720 during business hours and 703-993-9880 during non-business hours. Keep in mind you MUST send an email to request access to the hall. Permission cannot be granted by telephone.

2. If symptom of coronavirus have George Mason University student, what must he do in obligatory?

If you have fever and respiratory symptoms, such as coughing or shortness of breath, and you think you have been exposed to coronavirus, contact your local primary care physician for advice. Stay home unless you seek medical attention. Read here, how to differ flu symptoms from coronavirus.

If you have symptoms, call before you go to the doctor to the office or health facility to allow healthcare providers to take precautions to reduce the spread of the disease. You may be asked to isolate yourself or isolate yourself (stay at home and avoid contact with others) and monitor your health. Most people who get COVID-19 easily can recover at home. The CDC has information on how to protect yourself and others from coronavirus.

Those, who return to their place of residence should call their local primary care provider to determine if further evaluation is needed. Students on campus or onsite can call George Mason University Health Service (703-993-2831), which has developed a telephone and personal sorting process and implemented protocols. Help identify possible cases. Provide optimal care for those who have coronavirus symptoms.

Protect George Mason University community from coronavirus. Housing and Residence Life staff will work closely with George Mason University Health Services to monitor suspected cases and support the student community. If self-quarantine or isolation is required, we will take measures based on the recommendations of your health care provider or local health department.

The Mason University Nutrition Service allows students who are dormitory and sick, quarantined, or quarantined, to order sick food through the website. Contact your teachers and tutors to arrange for temporary education for missing persons. For more information on coronavirus and similar infectious disease response procedures at George Mason University refer to the Infectious Disease Manual.

3. What if I, being Mason University student, need emergency funding due to impact coronavirus?

Student life has established a process for seeking temporary, short-term, financial assistance, and you can apply for emergency care funding.

Compliance Criteria:

  • You are currently registered as a bachelor or graduate student in George Mason University.
  • You are experiencing unexpected financial difficulties as a result of the coronavirus outbreak.
  • Costs covered by emergency financing of coronavirus include:
  • Emergency medical and dental expenses
  • Technologies / equipment needed to ensure online learning continuity
  • Travel expenses
  • Homelessness or sudden loss of housing
  • Overdue utility bills with shutdown notice
  • Loss of child care
  • Medical insurance
  • Training and fees related only to the implementation of payment plans for the spring 2020 semester
  • Other financial needs arising from individual and special circumstances are determined on a case-by-case basis.


4. My research activities include trips around the United States and abroad. Can I continue my research activities or is it better to abstain?

George Mason University due to coronavirus suspended all university-sponsored and university-related domestic and international trips for students, faculty, and staff until further notice.

Trip to the dissertation or any dissertation research, field work is considered to be "related to the University" regardless of the source of funding. If your trip is supported by Mason, contact the Graduate Education department.

#Coronavirus #Coronavirus in USA #Coronavirus outbreak

Do you like this article? Please share this on your social media. It helps us to be better!

Last articles in "Society"